Plumbers make a well-paid living for providing a valuable service to homes and businesses, keeping the water flowing when people need it the most. In order to work legally within the state of Florida, plumbers need to be certified with a current license sanctioned by the state.
The plumbing industry is not subjected to financial fluctuations other trades are affected by. Workers who keep up on licensing regulations can carve out a successful, profitable career as a plumber in the state of Florida.
In Florida, there are two different types of licenses for plumbers:
Plumbers are licensed and certified by the state of Florida to conduct business as a professional plumber anywhere in the state.
Local contractors are issued certifications to conduct business in that specific location while complying with their procedures and processes. Registered contractors can do business only in the areas where they are registered.
Those who have passed their local licensing exam and received their Certificate of Competency from their local jurisdiction can then apply for their registered plumbing license. Application fees for individuals filling form # DBPR CILB 2 vary by the timing of the application.
The following are the steps you need to take to become a certified plumbing contractor in Florida:
● Pass all parts of the Florida State Construction examination
● Must be at least 18 years old
● Meet all education and experience requirements
● Be of good moral character
● Pay applicable fees
Obtain worker’s compensation coverage
To become a certified plumbing contractor in Florida, you must complete both the Business and Financial Management Exam as well as the Florida Plumbing Contractor Exam. Depending on when you apply and complete the examinations, there are fees associated with the exams and tests associated with the certification process.
● $135.00 Registration Fee Payable to Professional Testing, Inc.
● $80.00 Exam Administration Payable to the Florida DBPR
● $80.00 Business and Financial Management computer-based test (CBT) with Pearson VUE.
● Applying for initial certification between May 1st of an EVEN year through August 31st of an ODD year - $249. OR
● Applying for initial certification between September 1st of an ODD year through April 30th of an EVEN year - $149.
● Make check payable to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
● $544.00 on even years
● $444.00 on odd years
1st Choice Continuing Education offers a wide range of online educational renewal courses that meet or exceed state requirements for certification in varying fields and industries. Professionals from plumbers and electricians to cosmetologists and water well technicians rely on the professionals at 1st Choice to get and keep compliant with all local and federal regulations.
Whatever your trade or industry, contact 1st Choice Continuing Education today for complete information on the online course that is right for you and your career.